Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Reflection: {Week 9}

Week #9!  Reflect back on your journal notes and the following verses:
Proverbs 31:29-30
Proverbs 15:33; 22:4
II Corinthians 4:16
I Timothy 2:9-10
Pages 38-40 of P31 Ebook
I encourage you to jot down what you learned even through this time of reflection.  Is God still teaching and convicting even through these verses that you've already studied?  Is He still teaching you more even when you thought you learned everything there was to learn out of the verses?
I love how God's Word is so fresh and so new each time you seem to open His Book!

3 comments:

sunset gang said...

Good morning,
I have to share what the Lord has been using to encourage me lately. I know I have shared Laine's letters with you before, but the other source that has taught me sooooo much through the Word is a magazine called Above Rubies. It is all about how to be the woman God has called you to be. I know I have shared it with Kim before, but recently I have been reading a book called The Power of Motherhood written by the editor of Above Rubies. I have had this book/study guide for 10 years and have started reading it many times, but I guess I am finally at the place where the Lord can speak to me through the pages of this book. It is sooo powerful, convicting, encouraging, and motivational all at the same time. And it is Biblical, but not necessarily "socially acceptable" even among many church goers. What I mean is that our nation/churches have gotten away from teaching the hard core, convicting, difficult passages of the Bible. Yes, we teach salvation and repentance but there are many areas that are considered "untouchable" because they might make people uncomfortable. When was the last time you heard a pastor preach that moms should stay home with their children?? But it is Biblical. There are many other areas of a woman's life that are discussed in this study guide that have opened my eyes to the greater calling God has given us moms. I want to share a quote I read just this morning that the author shared. It is quoted from a Boston pastor in 1900. I will quote it in the next post because I think I am getting too long here. :)
Sonja

sunset gang said...

Here is the quote:

" I am taking a text this morning from President Coolidge. . .'The destiny of America lies around the hearthstone'. . .'If thrift and industry are taught here,' he said; 'if the example of self-sacrifice often appears; if honor abides there, and high ideals; if there the building of fortune be subordinate to the building of character - America will live in security, rejoicing in an abundant prosperity and good government at home, and peace, respect and confidence abroad. . . . Look well then to the hearthstone; herein all hope for America lies.'
But the hearthstone is an emblem. Beside it is enthroned the mother. It is the symbol of the Empire of Motherhood. The Creator lays the next generation in the lap of the mother; and we have high warrant for the belief that 'the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world.
. . .When God wants an important thing done in this world, or a wrong righted, He goes about it in a very singular way. He doesn't release His thunderbolts nor stir up His earthquakes. He simply has a tiny, helpless baby born, perhaps in a very obscure home, perhaps of a very humble mother. And He puts the idea or purpose into a mother's heart. And she puts it in the baby's mind, and then - God waits!

'The great events of this world,' says some one, 'are not battles and earthquakes and hurricanes. The great events of this world are babies. They are earthquakes and hurricanes.' Oh, the secrets that lie all about us hidden from our eyes! We glance at a tiny child, and we do not see, we do not know, what a thunderbolt of the Almighty is wrapped up in that little child.

'I walked down the furrow in the field,' said a humble mother who lived on a New Hampshire farm; 'I walked down the furrow with the Governor of New Hampshire in my arms, and the Governor of Massachusetts clinging to my skirts.' She said that afterwards, long afterwards, in her old age. For she knew not then, and no one knew, that her two baby boys would be governors of two New England states.

The great events are babies. The great facts of life are a mother and child. God, the Almighty Creator, lays the next generation in the laps of the mothers....

Mary of Nazaretgh exclaimed, 'My soul doth magnify the Lord, and all generations shall call me blessed.' All generations have called her blessed not because she was a woman, but because she was a mother!"

Jill said...

Thanks Sonja for sharing that! It was quite interesting and thought
provoking. A mother never knows what
God has in store for her children.
What an honor to be a mother.

By the way congratulations to Sarah and Ben....