Friday, June 1, 2012

Psalms 46:1-2

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;...

3 comments:

kim said...

Thankfully and by God's grace, I have not had to truly face the day as though my whole world has truly come crashing down on me(even though some days may have felt that way). I would hope that if God put one of those days in front of me, I would just be in God's loving arms of protection and face that time knowing He is in control and He is my strength and refuge. I think it is one of those things that you just don't know until you have to face them, but one can have that hope. I thought of all of the people and families from September 11th, I thought of the Japan tsunami victims and other natural disaster victims where they had to face utter devastation, and I thought of our friends Joel & Jess whole lost their 11-month old to cancer...oh how they all must have felt as thought their world (for most of them literally) crashed down all around them. I can't help but to be challenged with the question...what would I do if God wanted me to walk through days like those?

Lord, thank You for always being there with me! I want to recognize and see You as my strength and my refuge even now. today. this day. and not just wait for a devastating and world-crashing day so that I am ready and prepared if and when You would place a devastating day in my path just knowing that You are walking with me through it.

Have a great weekend, ladies!
Kim

Sarah W. said...

We can always sit at the feet of Jesus. He is the place we need to be when times are good or when they are crumbling. How I long to continually rely on Him no matter what! In all situations I desire to love and honor God more and more.

Have a great weekend everyone!
I am flying to Ohio today- and Ben is flying there Sunday night so if you could pray for our travel that would be wonderful!

Jill said...

Well, I am playing catch up again.
I have enjoyed reading your comments each day. They encourage me to keep moving on. Well, these verses are very familiar to me especially the first verse.

In my life I have faced times of uncertainty, devastation as well as
phobias but never total destruction such as a tornado, hurricane or earthquake (well, there were the floods in the basement....that was the extent of my total destruction!) If I had to face one of those natural disasters it truly would be a test of my faith. However, I believe it is calling on God and trusting Him in our smaller troubles that prepares us to have faith and trust in Him IF times of destruction come.

Other verses that I have marked in the past are Ps 61...when I am overwhelmed lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. Verse 4 I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. (There were times when it felt so good to just run to God and hide in Him).

Ps 62 My soul, wait silently for God alone. For my expectation is from Him. He only is my:
ROCK, SALVATION, DEFENSE, STRENGTH,
and REFUGE. (Do we truly expect from God?)

A great reminder is in verse 8 of chapter 62. Trust in Him at ALL times, you people. Pour out your heart before Him, God IS a refuge for us. Selah

Lord, I know You have been my refuge and strength, therefore I would like to repeat verses 16 and 17 to You. "But I will sing (or speak) of Your POWER; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your MERCY in the morning; (especially after a restless night and You brought me sleep) For You have been my DEFENSE and my REFUGE in the day (or night) of my trouble. (I feel we must take and apply God's word in our everyday situations).
To You, O my STRENGTH, I will sing praises For God is my DEFENSE The God of my MERCY.

For sure, the WORD gives us STRENGTH!