Monday, January 30, 2012

Ephesians 2:1-3

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Week!
Last week ended on a sour note for us-the whole family wiped out with the stomach flu (except Kirsten-amazing). It's nice to be back to daily routine. After devotion time this morning, I read everyones comments from the past 4 days. What a blesing to see how God has been speaking to you all! I am blessed by the accountability of this group. Sorry we missed the fun Sunday, but I thought I would share my answers to Sunday's questions here:
1) I don't like coffee, hanging clean clothes (I don't mind doing laundry and sorting it all and getting it to it's destination), taking the trash bag out of the trash can, liver-yuck.
2) I grew up in Christian Science, but that's a whole longer story for another time. :)
3) MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!
The blood in my veins flows with music. A song is constantly in my head and words spoken often trigger a song from my memory. Funny though, I can't sing and don't play any intstruments any more. Therefore, the "music" question is a loaded one--it all depends on time and mood. I love my old school Christian music Marty Goetz, Crystal Lewis, Nicole C Mullin. I also love the voice of Josh Groban. I don't get a chance to listen to much newer Christian music, but I am continually blessed by Mercy Me and Jeremy Camp. And in my world of kids I think the Scripture Rock CDs are fab for learning scripture with kids.
Well ladies, I could go on and on, but I'll spare you for now. :)
Have a most blessed week and may you and your families steer clear of the stomach flu. :)
Sonja

kim said...

"And you HE made alive!"
What a way to wake in the morning! I love that Paul at least gave us those 5 positive and encouraging words to cling and hold on to in spite of the rest of the passage. My first reaction to the verses today was YUCK! That was the way I was before the Lord came into my life!...following the course of the world, following Satan himself...being disobedient and gratifying my own cravings of sin and carrying out the desires of my flesh and my mind. Remembering back to the way I was before I started this love affair with the Lord was a great reflection this morning...it wasn't pretty! I want to remember that and continue to be humbled by God's mercy and love He continues to display to me! Lord, thank you for saving a wretch like me! Lord, You made me alive!

Happy Monday, Ladies!
Kim

Brienne said...

I definitely agree with Kim, this passage was not so uplifting...it was hard to stop at verse 3 and not see what's coming up tomorrow! Another word that stuck out to me this time: craving ("gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature"). I just think about when I have cravings whether they be food or reading a mindless fiction book or taking a nap...Do we still get cravings from our sinful nature that are trying to prevent us from spending time with God?

Sidenote: I'm running a little later than I wanted to this morning (probably because I was craving being in bed) so I almost didn't write anything after I read the verses. But, Kim, remember when the word verification was meaningful for you? Mine today was RESTORE. I couldn't pass that up! I'm so grateful to be restored in Christ and saved from our sinful nature!

Thank you Lord for this group and the accountability it provides in making time to spend with you. We're not perfect...thank you for making us perfect in your eyes. Amen

Anonymous said...

How negative of a picture Paul paints before we were alive. So grateful for a God who loves me even when I fail. Thank you God that I am ALIVE!

Mrs. Gray said...

I think this passage reminds me that I can so easily forget the ways of my past... and act like they never happened.Of course there is no need to dwell on them, but it is important to remember what life was like before Christ so that I can value and cherish my life now that we I am alive in Him.