Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hebrews 12:1

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

(Read Hebrews 12:1-3)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

IF I COULD ONLY STOP AND REMEMBER THIS "CLOUD OF WITNESSES" WHEN THERE IS A LOBBY FULL OF PEOPLE MOST NICE AND POLITE AND THEN UNEXPECTEDLY SOMEONE COMES UP AND BLINDSIDES ME WITH THERE ANGER AND ATTITUDE, I ALWAYS FEEL AWFUL AFTER WONDERING IF I HANDLED IT RIGHT. DID MY VOICE STAY THE SAME TONE AND VOLUME? WAS I HELPFUL ENOUGH? DO THEY HAVE ANY REASON TO ADD ME TO THE REASONS THEY ARE UNHAPPY THAT DAY? I ALSO TRY TO REMEMBER HOW THAT FEELS ON THE OTHER END WITH THE PERSON AT THE COUNTER WHEN I HAVE A COMPLAINT. IT IS THAT SPLIT SECOND REACTION THAT REALLY COUNTS. I PRAY THE LORD TAKES OVER MY MIND IN THOSE TIMES I DON'T WANT ANYTHING I SAY OR DO TO REFLECT NEGATIVELY ON GOD OR HIS CHURCH.

Jill said...

Hebrews 12:1 is a verse that needs some focus. We have been given "A Great Cloud of Witnesses" that have gone before us and this should give us encouragement as we face various trials in our life. These people have faced trials and yet ran the race and won.

Not only do I consider these witnesses but it draws my attention to those living around me.
What manner of witness am I? Am I an encouragement? I want my kids, grandchildren and friends to understand I have faced tough times too but just as the Lord was with the Great Cloud of Witnesses He was also with me and will be with them. This cloud of witnesses left a great heritage and encouragement may I do the same.

In times of trouble I will call upon the Lord!

Kim said...

Well, what a day...so busy and full! I have been studying this verse it seems like all.day.long...in little chunks. I must say if it weren't for this study/blog, I would have sadly given up today and not completed it...perhaps not even started it. Thank you Alicia and Jill for the accountability you have created for me. I'm thankful for the encouragement that I received from you both and from this verse today.

There is so much in this verse. I love the picture it creates...we step up to the line to begin this race - this marathon - called faith. We're still in our warm-up clothes, perhaps even deciding whether we even want to run this race at all. (and then again perhaps you've already made that decision to run and you're in the middle of your race) On the sidelines, our great cloud of witnesses - people like Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Moses, Jacob, Joseph, David - cheering us on, giving testimony of their races, showing us the value of running this faith race, inspiring us, and also our own people that we know personally who have run their races and who have gone on before us...loved ones...family, friends, etc... We decide to strip down to our uniform and lay those warm-up clothes aside (our weight and sin)...we're ready. We fix our eyes on Jesus. Then, we take that step out in our faith race. It's not easy but we have the endurance and the strength that it takes as long as we keep looking to Jesus. Like any marathon, the race takes you through so many mixes of emotions and variables...joy, uneasiness, peace, hardship, ups and downs, highs and lows, wet and dry times, etc. Through it all, keep looking to Jesus...He will help us finish our race!

Have a great night, ladies!