Sunday, January 22, 2012

announcement & fun questions

I am excited to announce...our first get together!
I would like to invite all ladies AND their families to our home on Sunday, January 29th at 12:30ish or after you get out of church.  (If you have obligations after church, just come whenever you can!) 
We'll just have a pot-luck fellowship...
I haven't decided whether to have soups and bread or the we provide the meat and everyone brings a side dish or dessert kind of a thing.  What do you all think?  I'll fill you in on all of the details later in the week.
Please let me know if you plan to come and how many so that we can plan accordingly.  Hope to see you then!
If you need directions to our home, just let me know, and I'll get them to you.
Ok, now for some more fun questions:

1.  What Bible version do you mainly read/study out of?
2.  Do you prefer coffee or tea, and how do you normally order it?
3.  What is one of the nicest things someone has ever done for you and/or your family?  (This question came from Nathan - it was challenging when he asked me - so you can thank him for the thought-provoking question!)
By the way, if anyone has a question they want me to ask to get to know the other ladies, please let me know.  I would love to work it in.
Have a restful Sunday worshipping the Lord and enjoying your families! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Sabbath Day everyone!
I LOVE the day of rest!!!
Can't wait to get into the Lord's house and teach those impressionable sponges in our class. Kim, those are some great questions.
1) I use NIV primarily because it is what I have in my study Bible that I've had since I was first saved. I can't part with it, but I also like the way it explains many of the verses.
2) I am a tea drinker. I have never been able to get into coffee. I like herbal, fruit, and green teas. Not usually black teas, although a friend has recently shared some yummy flavored black teas. I have learned (after some failed orders at Starbucks) that I like my tea weak with honey and no cream. At home, the kids and I like it with 1 tea bag to a whole pot of water. :)
3) This was hard to narrow to just 1 blessing. But I'll share the first thing that popped into my mind. When I was very ill after a surgery, in the heat of a humid summer, a blessed saint learned that our washing machine had died. With several heaping loads sitting and threatening to mold, the dear sister came (without my knowledge) and kidnapped our dirties, washed, dried and folded them at her home and brought them back. I was astonished at this level of servitude. It made me cry to know that someone was willing to do the mundane, often gross, task necessary to keeping my home running. I learned much that day about serving those in need.
Blessed Lord's day
Sonja

Anonymous said...

Just checked the calendar and we have a birthday party to attend on the 29th.
Sorry!
Sonja

the zipfs said...

1. New King James Version but also look at KJV, NIV, and ESV sometimes.
2. I love hot tea. There is nothing like a teapot of hot tea, sitting around the table, and chatting or playing games or both. Some of my best memories of Nathan's Gram came that way! I like the black teas and not usually a fan of flavors...the stronger and darker the better with a spoonful of sugar. I think I must go fix myself a cup of tea right now! :)
3. There have been SO MANY nice things done for me and my family. The Lord has taken care of my family so well! Beyond anything I could ever have imagined! So, when Nathan asked me this question, it was so hard to narrow it down to just one. BUT, if I must, it would have to be that while I was in the hospital recovering after losing our 2nd baby, a very thoughtful family came to our home and cleaned our house. They swept the floors, vacuumed, washed and put our dishes away, cleaned bathrooms, and even scrubbed our nasty dirty (so bad that I was embarrassed that they cleaned them if you know what I mean) TOILETS - a child of the family even did this job! What a blessing it was to come home to a nice clean home and be simply overwhelmed with God's care and love for our family! I was humbled!
Looking forward to Monday!
Kim

Anonymous said...

1. Well I have always used NIV until a couple years ago when my daughter's juice spilled all over my Bible so I have been sharing Ryan's which is a NKJV. I still prefer NIV.
2. Well I never really cared for coffee until I had my second child. I would try a cup here and a cup there, now I have to have a cup every morning. I like it with sugar and a lot of cream.
3. I think it would have to be a love offering that the church gave to our family. My husband had got laid off from work two years ago. It was really tough those six months and one Sunday after church our Pastor came up and handed me an envelope and said it was from the church. It was such a huge blessing to our family. That act of kindness and love by our church family definitely touched our hearts. The Lord truly provides.
So next Sunday works for us. Just let me know what you would like me to bring.

Brienne said...

Sorry I've been out of touch, I'm still learning when to set aside time in my day as all my days are so different working nights and then mornings every other day. Sunday should work for me...I just might not be able to stay very long if Andy and I have to go to Portland that day. To be determined! Now the questions:

1) NIV for this study, ESV for my Bible-in-one-year plan I'm trying to do right now. I like the NIV because it's my life application Bible and sometimes the notes help you think of things you may not on your own. I like the ESV because it doesn't seem watered down if you know what I mean.
2) Hot chocolate! But if I have to choose...coffee with cream and sugar (can you tell I have a sweet tooth?)
3) I had a hard time with this question too, but the first thing that came to mind was last summer after Andy and I got married we had planned a barbecue at our house as a casual get together for everyone that was in town. Two couples that we work with had volunteered to help get things set up as we also had some other activities planned that day. Well I was just overwhelmed when we got to our own house and they had done just a beautiful job! From having to break into the house through the window AC unit because I forgot to leave a key, to setting up tables and even the extra flowers we had from the wedding. Then the husbands manned the grills for us too so we could get a chance to see everyone. Maybe it seems like a small thing, but it meant a lot to us that they would take such care when we weren't even there to set-up for an event we had planned.

Anyway, I am rededicating myself this week to at least getting the verses written down each day, and I will do my best to get something posted!

Brienne