In all labor there is profit, but idle chatter leads only to poverty.
~Proverbs 14:23
...that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,...
~I Thessalonians 4:11
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is so interesting, because I was just thinking about this concept from the Proverbs 14 verse this morning! I was feeling bitter about something, and rather than talk about it God led me to really pray and give it to him. I so desire to do this every time I am feeling an emotion or frustration contrary to how God wants me to react. My constant prayer lately has been for him to continually weed out more of me and instill more of Him. Then it is so cool how He has us thinking about this in the study!
For the 2nd verse 1 Thess 4:11- I also feel that 4:12 is really important to understand this verse in context. 4:12 is - ...so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.
There was a note for these two verses in my study bible that I really liked that I thought I would share. It says, "There is more to Christian living than simply loving other Christians. We must be responsible in all areas of life. Some of the Thessalonian Christians had adopted a life of idleness, depending on others for handouts. Some Greeks looked down on manual labor. So Paul told the Thessalonians to work hard and live a quiet life. You can't be effective in sharing your faith with others if they dont respect you. Whatever you do, do it faithfully and be a positive force in society."
Have a great day ladies!
I read the words, "PROFIT" and "POVERTY" in Proverbs 14:23. Once again I do not think of dollars and
cents but instead I think of accomplishments or the failure to
accomplish. You may be thinking "What is Jill talking about or where is she coming from"? Let me tell you.
Over a year ago I made a list of chores and plans. Well, needless to say it appears as idle talk. Just talking about what needs done is not accomplishing anything therefore I count it as "POVERTY".
Why? Because with that come a lack of contentment in the home and peace of mind as well as the heart.
Now if I aspire or become ambitious as (aspire) was used in I Thess 4:11) and truly attack my list then my heart and mind would be full of "PROFIT"!
On my list are physical and spiritual needs as well as inside and outside chores.....MOTIVATION!
Well, I Thess 4:11 is a challenge and I pray Lord You will haunt me with that verse for I believe this verse holds the mystery or secret to CONTENTMENT but OBEDIENCE is the tool. Again, this is a challenge.
Am I up to the challenge?
Post a Comment