Sunday, May 27, 2012

questions! questions! questions!

First and foremost, I have been struggling this week to stay up on my Bible study and this blog. I have been encouraged every morning to at least read the verses for the day and then at the end of a long and tiring day read over what God has encouraged and/or challenged all of you ladies with through your studies. Thank you, ladies, for your faithfulness to God's Word and for the encouragement and blessing you have been to me especially this week. (I love how you didn't even know that God was using you and your words!) I'm thankful to have this blog and this Bible study in place to give me a plan as to know what to come back to when I stray.
Now, on to the questions...
1. What are your Memorial Day weekend plans?
2. I know that Memorial Day is primarily about honoring and remembering fallen soldiers of war, but I thought we could honor and remember those soldiers as well as any other soldier that we know who have served or are currently serving our country in the military. SO, please list all of your family members or close family friends that you care to mention here who have lost their lives serving in the military and all of those who have served or are currently serving our country in the armed services. To make things more interesting, please list the branch of the military they served or are serving in.
3. Since this is also graduation time, what is one thing you remember from your high school or college graduation?
4. Remembering back through your childhood days, what is the one thing you always wanted to be when you grew up?

3 comments:

kim said...

1. Saturday-clothes shopping with and for Nathan (we all survived!), picnic lunch on our porch, and dinner at a friend's house
Sunday-church and graduation party
Monday-stay home!

2. Thankfully, no one from my family has lost their lives in the military. My brother-in-law Dave is currently serving in the Air Force and has served several tours in Iraq. My father-in-law Arlyn served in the Navy during Vietnam. My Grandpa Ochs served in the Army during WW2. Nathan's Grandpa Brocious served in the Army? and his Grandpa Zipf served in the Navy.

3. Thinking back to my high school graduation, I remember the feeling and stress of not really knowing what I wanted to do with the rest of my life AND my best friend apologizing to me and the forgiveness and renewed friendship we enjoyed after our tearful reunion. I also remember the party my parents held for me, a lot of my relatives (some travelling quite a distance to be there), neighbors, and friends coming and being there, running out of a lot of the food, and it being at my Grandma's house.

4. I've always wanted to be a postal mail carrier - the kind that you walk around the neighborhood and deliver the mail right to the houses!

Have a great (extended?) weekend, ladies!
kim

Jill said...

1. Arlyn will be working on Monday so
not sure about that day except I
think we will cook hotdogs and
chill. Friday my sister and I
went to the cemetery and put
flowers on the graves and Thurs
Arlyn and I went and put flowers
on my parents' graves.

Memorial Day is always a time to
reflect on memories of the past
celebrations. Our family, aunts,
uncles, cousins, G & G and mom
and dad would go to Grandma's
house. The grill would come out
and Grandma would have her
potato salad and baked beans
then we would have those special
hamburgers on HOMEMADE buns!
All the women would go to the
cemetery and put flowers on the
graves. Fun day with all the
cousins! Good memories! I love
to look at old photos of the
day!

2. Those serving in the military.
You will see we have a large
military record. First those who
are serving today. Kevin my
nephew is serving in the Navy
(I believe he will be a career
man). Robbie another nephew
served in the Army, Glenn, my
brother-in-law served in the
Marines (Vietnam era)Bob, a
brother-in-law Army (Vietnam
era), Arlyn, Navy (Vietnam era),
My father and Father-in-law
Army-Air Force WWII, 3 uncles
Navy WWII, 4 uncles-in-law Army
WWII, 1 uncle-in-law Navy WWII
shortly after his discharge he
died of an illness he came down
with while serving.
My great-grandfather, Eli
Rossiter was killed over in
France while fighting for
Canada. We have a letter he
received from King George of
England thanking him for his
service. I read a journal he
carried with him in the trench,
and postcards and letters he
sent and received while serving.
He is buried in France. Before
the military even while living
in England he served in the
Salvation Army.

3. Graduation, well, I do remember
I was just happy to get out of
school although, I did not know
what I would do. I remember my
party! (we didn't have many
parties so this was special).
Mom made a special cake (she
could really decorate) the gifts
I received (camera, pjs, a
birthstone ring, money and a
card from my 4th grade teacher,
(that was a surprise).

4. Teacher (like Ivy I was always
playing school mostly all by
myself. My students didn't
say a word)!

Sarah W. said...

1. I danced with the adult modern class at the Jeanne limmer dance showcase on Friday night and saturday afternoon. Sunday- Church and hanging out with a couple who are getting married in Aug.
Monday- relaxing and tackling our to do list since we are going to Ohio next week. We have no specific "memorial day" plans today.

2. I had a friend, Nate from when I did Odyssey of the mind in elementary/junior high school (did you guys have that?) that lost his life in the military. I remember him helping me learn to use a circular saw (with supervision of course) and being really good with cars. He was a great guy and it was sad to lose him. Currently, I have a friend and her brother, Emilie is her name, both serving in the the military She is in the Air force and I think he is in the marines. I also have another friend Josh who is a marine and Dimtry from Journey Church will be going to basic training this summer for the Navy so we can pray for him.

3. HS graduation- I was so excited to get out of there! I had a really rough senior year, (some good too) but mostly just ready to move on from the drama of HS- College graduation was great because I sang our national anthem and the alma mater so I sat on the stage with all the people with 5 doctoral degrees :) It was a great experience.

4. I have always (since I was 2) wanted to voice a disney character. I would love to get to sing a part of a princess ect. (I still have this dream) :) I dont like to give up on things!