Monday, May 7, 2012

Proverbs 18:22 / Proverbs 19:14

He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the LORD.  ~Proverbs 18:22

Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the LORD.  ~Proverbs 19:14

5 comments:

sunset gang said...

Happy Monday!
Sunday's questions were thought provoking. I just read them this morning and I can't wait till Marc gets up to share them with him. :)

In today's verses I had to look up the word prudent. I've heard it used many times, but couldn't think of exactly what it meant. "Cautious, giving thought to the future or to the consequences of your actions." I like the definition. I find comfort in it. I never thought the word "prudent" could be used to describe my life. I remember my single days when the word prudent would NOT describe my actions. (I have a mountain load of credit card debt to prove it--yuck). In Prov 18:22 a man receives favor merely for finding a wife--that was easy. It doesn't say anything about what TYPE of wife. Then Prov 19:14 talks about a prudent wife. So I must assume the man receives more favor with a prudent wife?? It is comforting to know our actions are not only to please the Lord, but will also bring extra helpings of favor upon our husbands.

The word prudent also reminded me of dying to self. Laine has a post about dying to self. http://www.lainesletters.com/letters/dyingtoself.html The end is truly powerful. Whenever satan wants to tempt with pride, I thank God for using Laine's insight to bring me to a richer understanding of how God wants to refine my walk with Him. I fall short in so many areas of the "dying to self!"
Lord, give me the strength to surrender the areas of my life that are selfish and prideful. Thank you for this study that contunies to stretch and grow me. Thank you for quiet moments to sit at your feet and basque in your majesty.

Enjoy your time with our creator today!
Sonja

Kim said...

Good morning, ladies!

Prov. 18:22 led me to Gen. 2:18 where the Lord said that it was not good for a man to be alone and that He would make a helper for him. A man being married to a woman is a good thing in God's eyes.

Then, in Prov. 19:14, I too had to look up the word "prudent" which I found defined as "marked by wisdom; shrewdly practical; circumspect." I like Sonja's definition too. A prudent wife - a wife marked by wisdom, a wife cautious and careful to consider all circumstances and consequences - can only be from the Lord...we can only be prudent if we rely on the Lord and ask Him for wisdom and guidance.

Lord, I pray for all of our marriages. Lord, I pray that You continue to strengthen our marriages so that others around us can see the good in marriage. Be with us as wives and continue to guide us, give us wisdom, shape us and mold us into the wives You want us to be for our husbands so that we are precious, priceless, treasured, and proudly worn as crowns by our husbands. And, Lord, I lift up our husbands as well.

Have a great Monday!
Kim

Sarah W. said...

HI Ladies! So funny that we all felt the need to look up the definition of prudent. I found both definitions as well as some synonyms that I thought were good: 1. Sensible 2. economical, thrify & frugal

I do try to be all these things, although I will say that sensible is more difficult for me, because I am a dreamer and so is my husband. We both have always had "big dreams" that we are not so willing to give up. (But they have changed into more and more God honoring dreams as we walk longer with Christ). I will say I have really been challenged in the second list of synonyms (economical, thrifty, frugal) since I have lived here in NH because our budget has been tighter. I have learned to coupon, shop more at thrift stores, and even ask when I need something! For example at our prayer meeting two weeks ago, I just threw out the need for another dresser so I could have one for Charlotte and I am going to someones house to pick it up today! So I thank God that he has pruned me in this area, and I know that if I ever come into a place where I have a little bit more money that I will use it to bless others. Have a great day ladies!!!!

Jill said...

Good morning to you...This is definitely becoming quite the study. There is much to think about.

God created marriage for our enjoyment. He said marriage is good. He could have made Eve from the dust but no, she was made from a part of Adam. Truly the two became one. God did say, "It was
not good for man to be alone" soooooo He created Adam a wife! This is a reminder that tells us it is wise to wait and allow God to choose our mate, again, God created marriage for our enjoyment. The question to ponder is this: AM I ENJOYING MY MARRIAGE? If I am not then what can change that? IF I AM ENJOYING IT then thank God and continue.

Okay, I also had to look in my dictionary to find the word prudent. My little dictionary came out with....wisely, careful). So a wise and careful wife is from the Lord.

I will say in most situations I try to be careful and wise but many times even though I desire this quality I become impulsive. The other day I included 31:11 and I was somewhat convicted by the second part of the verse..."so he will have no lack of gain". After reading that I felt compelled to discuss this with Arlyn (what was I thinking?). I wanted to know and after I assured him it was alright to tell me, he TOLD me (it wasn't too bad and I knew he was right). He said the times I went to parties and bought, when we really didn't have the money (buying outside our means. Well, I must agree I wasn't very prudent; however, I must say I have become much more prudent (in decisions and spending). I could still do better . Kim could teach me so much about being frugal and thrifty or she may see me as a lost cause!!! It sounds like I could learn a lot from all of you. The saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks! However, with the Lords help....

I do believe dying to self and selfish desires is a much needed process to become a prudent wife and that truly would be a gift for our husbands.

Have a great day ladies!

Oh, no! While I was typing this I burnt my bacon....how frugal and careful was that?

Jill said...

I really should be in bed but I want to get my comments posted. I liked these verses.

First of all I will look at Proverbs 11:28. These were my thoughts. At this hour I hope I make sense.
The verse begins with "He who trust in his riches will fall". We talk about trusting God to provide for us; but then, if that is so why do we become anxious and frustrated over our budgets. Do we trust Him or not trust?

Paul told Timothy to teach that those who have money must be careful not to put their trust in money instead put their trust in the living God.

Jesus, Himself, said in Mark 10:23-25 that it is very difficult for the rich to get in the kingdom of God, not because they have money but those with money have their basic needs met and so many times they have become self reliant. So we should stop fretting and begin trusting God. Thanking Him for our
husband's jobs and trusting God to meet our needs or direct our steps showing us what to do. Money comes and money goes but God is faithful!

When we have budget problems God has the answer. Will we trust Him?
We have had many financial problems in the past but God has always shown Himself faithful. It wasn't always easy to trust and we weren't always patient but it was necessary!

Proverbs 28:26
He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool, but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.

There were times we didn't know what to do, but we knew where to turn. No, money didn't just fall from Heaven and no,there were no bags of groceries left on the door step. There were no hand me down
clothes for the boys still, God was
there. He was our hope. At times He gave us ideas. Our cupboards were not bare and our family had clothes. God brought peace in our frustrating times. We could not trust ourselves, we made foolish decisions in frustrating moments but we knew we could not trust ourselves, there was only one place to turn and that was to the Lord.

When I received my financial inheritance from my mom the Lord turned my eyes to Psalm 62:10 (I really believe He did). It says in the second part, "If riches increase Do not set your heart on them". This verse meant so much to me. When there is money there are
responsibilities.

I pray Lord that I will not become stressful when financial burdens arise but through the past and these verses that I would continue to turn to You. Help each one of us to not add to the stress of our husbands but to bring our burdens to You. Thank You for Your patience and faithfulness.