The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty, but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty.
~Proverbs 21:5
Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit"; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that."
~James 4:13-15
Friday, May 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have been really into using my dictionary during my devotions to pull more meaning out of some of these words, so today I looked up diligent. It means, constant in effort to accomplish something; attentive and persistent in doing anything.
These verses reminded me today that the more we put our lives in God's hands the more He will help us to succeed (in his eyes)! We must be diligent in all things in our lives, both the exciting things, and the mundane things in life. This is tough, but it brings glory to God when we are completely focused on Him. It has also made me realize that we can make plans for our future all day...Ben and I are both dreamers and we love to do this...but we have to hold onto them loosely and allow God to lead us.
Have a great day ladies!
The verses in James are very familiar to me. I remember the first time Arlyn and I came across them and how often I have used verse 15. It seems I am always making plans but these verses help to keep my feet on the ground.
With Arlyn's retirement just a couple years away we continue to make OUR PLANS. Did you catch that OUR PLANS? For quite a few years now we have been making plans for our BIG MOVE! As retirement is getting closer these verses have come back to me. It is true we don't know what tomorrow will bring; therefore, we are trying to be diligent with our planning. We do pray OUR WILL lines up with GOD'S WILL.
James 4:13-15 like I said is very personal to me. Verse 13 is our action now (plenty is not money in my case, it is family and time with family). Verse 14 I know all too well the truth in that verse. Soooooo.....it all comes down to verse 15! "IF the LORD wills, we shall live and do this or that"!
Be diligent.....
Post a Comment