Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10
An excellent wife is the crown of her husband, but she who causes shame is like rottenness in his bones. ~Proverbs 12:4
Friday, May 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Good Morning all! Hope you have found creative ways to keep dry this week. :)
I have to share how God used yesterday's study in my life yesterday. The burden God placed on my heart to "speak up" to daycare parents was sooo strong. I knew the specific parent that God wanted me to speak to and I prayed for an opportunity to open up. Normally there is no privacy during drop off time to have a deep heart to heart chat-plus the mom is on her way to work. But, I continued to pray the Lord would clear a path. And he did! It was awesome. Why am I always so amazed when God shows his majesty? And why do I get so nervous when He's asking me to do something? I must be a worrier. My mind says "what if this, and what if that." In the end, he made the mom arrive late while we were all headed out the door to the bus stop, so the kids were all ahead of us. I waited to see if the mom felt like chatting or if she needed to run off to work. She engaged conversation and the Lord led the conversation straight to the topic of the "secret" of being a good parent. WOW! Thank you Lord! You are always faithful to do what you have promised if we are only willing to do what you have asked. Thank you for this study, Lord, that continues to refine my walk with you!
On to today's study. Verse 10 is a favorite of mine: She is worth far more than rubies. Thank you, Lord for describing this housewife who sometimes feels "frumpy" and "disheveled" as having a worth far greater than one of the most precious gems in the world. :)It also reminds me of my FAVORITE magazine of all times. Above Rubies. The title obviously refers to this verse. It is a free publication meant to minister to Christian women. I love it!
I also love the verse in Prov 12:4. I desire to be a crown on my husband's head rather than decay in his bones---yuck!
Thank you, Lord, for these fabulous word pictures to help our simple minds grasp your desire in our lives. I find it interesting that the Lord chose jewels and crowns when speaking of women.
May you all be sparkling jems in your husband's crown today and forever. :)
Sonja
Forgot to post Laine's blurb about this verse:
Dear Sisters,
Here we are back in the beautiful book of Proverbs. A beautiful part of Scripture that was originally a acrostic poem that King Lemuel learned from his mother orally. Each verse started with a letter of the alphabet that he was so familiar with. She would have written it like this and had him repeat it back to her (vs. 1: the "utterance" his mother taught him), so that he would never forget it. A wise way to help out own children remember Scripture and inscribe it upon their hearts. Let's take out our magnifying glass now and study these beautifully woven "stitches of Scripture" revealing the heart of a woman whose deeds speak love, love , love.
"Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies." Proverbs 31: 10
This verse starts out with a question posed to the man of God. It tells King Lemuel that he cannot find this woman on his own. He has to ask God for her. Only God can give him a woman that exemplifies wisdom. Only God can help a woman be a virtuous wife; and it takes a soft heart. He has to seek a woman whose heart pants for God as much as his own mother's heart did. The kind of woman whose goal is to practice righteousness and Godliness by serving those God gives to her. Proverbs 19:14 says, "Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, But a prudent wife is from the LORD." We must tell our children to take time to pray for the wife or husband God has for them. This is the second most important decision in their lives. (The first being their life given whole-heartedly to Christ!) Our sons want a woman who will love God more than them and more than their children. That is a balanced woman of God. As she will affect their career, their children, where they will live, the peace in their home, oh, so much, so much by either her obedience and submission to the Word of God or her disregard of it. Their wife makes them ONE together in Christ.
where does virtue come from? It comes only from the Lord. Something I love about this passage is how this woman's worth and beauty come entirely from her character!!! and her focus can be on what the Lord has entrusted her with.
I also thought about the crown that was referenced in 12:4 and I think this relates to 31:30m that a woman who fears the Lord shall be praised. This is the crown that we should be wearing! These passages made me ask God,
Lord what have you entrusted me with?
Do I find my beauty in you through my character?
Some things I know I am going to think about today!!!
These verses are so encouraging, but how many days do we feel less than rubies or crowns....not due to our actions, but our own thoughts of ourselves. It is so easy to get caught up in the world' s view of perfectness that we can easily loose sight of God' s view of us and the things the He values.
I know that my mother in-law had been praying for Justin' s future wife from the time he was very young... And that was a huge encouragement when I was saved.and was having a difficult time with my own family.
Once again I am late in posting.
I looked up the word virtuous and it said moral excellence or good quality.
The virtuous woman: I read in a note where this woman in Proverbs 31 is described as having outstanding abilities. However, this may not be speaking of one woman but possibly be a picture of ideal womanhood. This made me feel
somewhat encouraged. Do not try to imitate her in every detail for your days are not long enough to do everything she does but see her as an inspiration to be all you can be. We cannot be just like her but
we can learn from her example (work, integrity and
resourcefulness).
WOW! What a relief! I always felt like a failure in comparison to the virtuous woman and all her skills and accomplishments. It is good to find out I don't have to be her but be encouraged to continue to grow in the field of ideal womanhood.
A woman is all things and beyond price. I remember on some program
a wife and mother calculated her worth in dollars in other words how much each job she did would be worth. With the total you could have bought a nice ruby! However, there is no price for moral excellence (honor and respect cannot be bought). Because this woman has moral excellence all the other qualities follow.
Who can find such a wife, I believe it is the man who seeks God, asked God and waits patiently.
I do pray already for my grandsons to find the right woman and that God will be preparing the girls they will one day marry. It is never too early to pray.
Father, help me to grow into the virtuous woman. Thank You for the
skills You have fit me with. Help me to use them wisely.
Proverbs 12:4
An excellent wife is the crown of her husband. Thank You Lord, for my dictionary. Excellent defined as courage or bravery ( I think I have work to do) Crown defined as top quality or honor.
The word crown makes me think of the headpiece worn by a monarch or royalty, but here it is I believe saying the excellent wife is a woman of top quality or honor to her husband.
My prayer would be that I would be one who brings honor to my husband and NEVER bring shame to him. I think the worst feeling is when you see the hurt in your husband's face.
Lord, help me be a wife of honor...a top quality wife. I know there are times I fail but forgive me and grow me in Your ways. Sometimes I wish I could start over but I can't so again, just grow me and help me practice what I learn from this study.
Post a Comment