She extends her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy.
~Proverbs 31:20
If there is among you a poor man of your brethren, within any of the gates in your land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart nor shut your hand from your poor brother, but you shall open your hand wide to him and willingly lend him suffiient for his need, whatever he needs.
~Deuteronomy 15:7-8
The generous soul will be made rich, and he who waters will also be watered himself.
~Proverbs 11:25
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
When I sat down to do devotions today, I really thought it was Monday!! Ha! :) The start of the work week is always Monday, right? :) I really enjoyed catching up reading all of your posts from Friday and the weekend. I thought I would post my Sunday answers here (great questions Kim!):
1) Memorial Weekend Plans: OUTSIDE, baseball practice twice (on a holiday weekend???), family BBQs twice, Memorial Orchestra Concert FREE at Fryeburg Academy Sun night, planting garden Mon. What a gorgeous weekend!
2) Like Jill, we have a huge military connection. I didn't realize how much so until Eli's school (for Veteran's Day in November) had each kid list their family's military involvement. I ran out of room on the paper and kept thinking of more. Here goes:
My step dad-airforce (Vietnam), my grandfather on dad's side-airforce (Korea), my grandfather on mom's side-navy WWII, Marc's dad-navy (Vietnam), Marc's grandfather on dad's side-army (WWII), Marc's grandfather on mom's side-marines (WWII), and Marc's sister's husband is currently serving-airforce. Now I understand why Eli seems predestined by God to serve in some sort of military/enforcement way.
3) High School graduation I was almost walking across the stage with crutches, but somehow got my normal shoe on and hobbled across (probably my stubborn nature creeping up again).
4) What I always wanted to be???? I am drawing a blank on this one. I will have to ask my mom. :) Once I was in high school and part of college I was sure I wanted to be a CPA. HAAAAA I'm glad God redirected me. That would not have been a good fit. Although I am the CFO of the home budget. Does that count?
Well, enjoy your week everyone. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read Mon and Tuesday's verses later today. :)
Blessings
Sonja
Love how Gods word again shakes up the way the "world" sees things! How we actually become richer by being more generous! God wants us to hold so loosely onto our possessions by giving frequently so we know they are all His!
We are called to help the poor in our community no matter what . God calls us to care for them and give them grace regardless of how they got in the spot.
I hope to do both of these things my whole life (be generous and help the poor) I have prayed over the last few years especially that if Ben and I ever came into some money that we would use it to be super generous to so many in need. If you want a great example of a person currently doing this, read about Francis Chan's life. When his books started doing really well, he moved his family into a smaller home and gave away more. Even many of his fellow pastors thought he was crazy. Its a good example of holding those possessions loosely and becoming richer in God's eyes!
I pray for wisdom and discernment in how to best meet the needs of those people who God put's in our path. Help my heart to be willing and ready.
"THE POOR"
The questions that came to my mind after reading the verses were:
1. Who are the poor?
2. Who is needy?
3. Who are the lazy?
4. Is there a difference?
Are these verses saying, JUST GIVE, forget trying to figure out the reason they have a need. Just know there is a need!
I think in our country many have hardened their hearts, either they feel they also have a need or they see those who will not work and have their hands out.
I also think that if families, churches, and communities would be obedient to the Word there would be no need for government programs. The poor have always been with us.
I want to be giving not clutching my TIME, MONEY and POSSESSIONS. Lord help me see those in need. Thank You for all you have given me. Please transform me into a giving woman, keeping my heart tender, my mind wise and my fist loose. You truly have been so good to us.
This morning's verses were encouraging and, of course, brought so much to think about.
The P31 Ebook brought out a focus to our hands and the beauty that they show. I thought it was interesting that when we were back in v.13, I was led to write down the things I noticed my hands doing throughout the day...anywhere from hugging a child, wiping snotty noses, changing dirty diapers, disciplining (not easy at all), preparing meals, controlling the wheel of a van, etc. At the end of that day, I was challenged by not just looking to see what my hands were doing but to actually examine my attitude that went along with the actions. It was very interesting to really pay attention to what my hands did throughout the day and then my attitude behind my actions! (try it for yourself!) In the end, I saw the beauty in the work my hands were doing as I loved and served my family and was challenged to do everything for the Lord. My heart's desire is that my hands always reflect the True Beauty (the Lord) in my life as I go about loving and serving my family and others. Today's verses really hit home on the loving and serving and helping others' part especially. BUT, I must be careful to not lose focus in that I serve God first, then Nate, then my kids, then others as sometimes those can get a little out of whack!
I then found the Deuteronomy passage to be challenging...a person opening their hands wide to give willingly no matter what the reason or cause of the person's need is a reflection of a person's attitude and reflects beauty, warmth, and generosity as well! Do I take on the role of judge as to whether a person is deserving or not of something to be given to them?
Then, Proverbs 11:25 brought it all together for me this morning. There truly is refreshment in giving to others...not that getting something out of our giving should be our focus and the only reason we give! The following was in a study Bible I use that was very interesting to me this morning and thought I would share..."When we give, God supplies us with more so that we can give more. In addition, giving helps us gain a right perspective on our possessions. We realize they were never really ours to begin with, but were given to us by God to be used to help others. What do we gain by giving? FREEDOM FROM ENSLAVEMENT TO OUR POSSESSIONS [perhaps I can substitute "our possessions" for "my own desires or thoughts" here???], the joy of helping others, and God's approval."
Then, I thought about times when perhaps I would be the one in need or any one of us for that matter. We need to be willing to humble ourselves and allow others to meet our needs so that they can have that freedom, peace, joy, refreshment, and blessing in giving to others!
Lord, thank You for ALL that You give and provide to us. Thank You that You give us opportunities to give and share with others. Help us to recognize others' needs no matter their circumstances and be obedient when You present those opportunities to us. And, help us to always be willing and obedient to give.
kim
Post a Comment