Do not give your strength to women, nor your ways to that which destroys kings. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, nor for princes intoxicating drink;
How inspiring and practical is Proverbs 31! In our house, the "girl" talk is going to be coming soon with our oldest son. I like how King Lemuel's mom did it! Go Girl! "Do not spend your strength on women." I don't believe that is a cut down to us women. I know God will bring the right woman to my son IN TIME. But our world is sooooo romance crazy beginning at younger and younger ages. I agree with Lemuel's mom. "Don't spend your strength on women." Focus on serving the Lord. Keep yourself busy and occupied with that and you can't possibly get into trouble.
I read another of Laine's letters this morning which encouraged me to continually teach the scriptures to my children and to memorize them together, as Lemuel's mother taught this oracle to him.
Lord, what a precious job you have allowed me to occupy. I get to bring my children before your throne EVERYDAY! I get to choose what knowledge will fill their brain and what will occupy their time. What a blessing, Lord. Thank you so much, Lord. I am truly humbled!
Here is the link to Laine's letter: http://lainesletters.com/letters/teachingchildren.html Did you all want me to post Laine's letter each day or just the link? Blessings today Sonja
Thank you Sonja for sharing the letters by Laine. I'm looking forward to reading them throughout this study.
As I read over the verses, I thought to myself that these verses would be such an easy study as I don't feel as though I struggle with immorality and alcohol. BUT, I was nonetheless challenged in this ever-refining walk of mine (as is what usually happens). Isn't God so good to continually teach us through any part of Scripture? The Lord challenged me that although I don't struggle with those particular sins, there are other sins that I do struggle with and those are the ones that get in the way of truly walking with Him. Those are the ones that I need to be daily mindful of and giving over to Him.
As I was studying our verses this morning (and then read in Laine's letter) about Lemuel's mother pointing out to her son of his high position of being a king and the resposibility that goes with it and the fact that he is not just living for himself but living for those he is king over, I also thought of our Ephesians study and the unity as the Body of Christ that it taught. Just like Lemuel had to live (strong and sober-minded) for his nation he ruled over, we as God's children (His princesses, if you will - and equally in a high position just because we are His) ought to live our lives not for our own sake but for the sake of God's kingdom (God Himself and His church). Again, reiterating to me to give all of my life (the good and the bad) over to Him.
Then, I was directed to the life of Jesus (our greatest example of a King) and particularly when He was hanging and dying on the cross. This was such a neat part for me this morning! When Jesus was offered wine on the cross, He did not take it as He knew He needed all of His senses to complete the work His Father sent Him to do. Our King hanging there on that cross knew He needed to be in complete control of His mind; otherwise, He quite possibly would have missed ministering to the thief dying on the cross right next to Him. Wow! The Lord has placed within me a strong conviction regarding alcohol - to the point that I will not even have it in our home, cook with it, or not eat anything with it in. I guess when I've read Jesus' death on the cross before, I always view it in its entirety and looked at the end result of salvation or the big picture of it all. I love that I was able to zero in on a little portion of Jesus' work on the cross and that it just brought a strengthened conviction to my mind.
Thank You, Lord, for Your Word and for continuing to teach me.
So sorry for my novel...I was struggling with my wording and just couldn't simplify.
This passage had me thinking about priorities and making sure that my priorities are in order in everyday life. It can be so easy to let school work cut into my time with the Lord or to put too much of my energy being grumpy that I got a point taken off a project. Our strength should be kept for Lord and his will, not ours.
As I looked at these two verses I thought yes, who better to warn and teach their sons about women but their mother. It is a scary world out there and the kids need some guidance and preparation so their lives will not be destroyed.
When I moved on to verse four I thought of the downfall of so many leaders in our country. I have to wonder how many made poor decisions because alcohol clouded their thinking causing them to compromise their principles.
4 comments:
How inspiring and practical is Proverbs 31! In our house, the "girl" talk is going to be coming soon with our oldest son. I like how King Lemuel's mom did it! Go Girl! "Do not spend your strength on women." I don't believe that is a cut down to us women. I know God will bring the right woman to my son IN TIME. But our world is sooooo romance crazy beginning at younger and younger ages. I agree with Lemuel's mom. "Don't spend your strength on women." Focus on serving the Lord. Keep yourself busy and occupied with that and you can't possibly get into trouble.
I read another of Laine's letters this morning which encouraged me to continually teach the scriptures to my children and to memorize them together, as Lemuel's mother taught this oracle to him.
Lord, what a precious job you have allowed me to occupy. I get to bring my children before your throne EVERYDAY! I get to choose what knowledge will fill their brain and what will occupy their time. What a blessing, Lord. Thank you so much, Lord. I am truly humbled!
Here is the link to Laine's letter: http://lainesletters.com/letters/teachingchildren.html
Did you all want me to post Laine's letter each day or just the link?
Blessings today
Sonja
Good morning, Ladies!
Thank you Sonja for sharing the letters by Laine. I'm looking forward to reading them throughout this study.
As I read over the verses, I thought to myself that these verses would be such an easy study as I don't feel as though I struggle with immorality and alcohol. BUT, I was nonetheless challenged in this ever-refining walk of mine (as is what usually happens). Isn't God so good to continually teach us through any part of Scripture? The Lord challenged me that although I don't struggle with those particular sins, there are other sins that I do struggle with and those are the ones that get in the way of truly walking with Him. Those are the ones that I need to be daily mindful of and giving over to Him.
As I was studying our verses this morning (and then read in Laine's letter) about Lemuel's mother pointing out to her son of his high position of being a king and the resposibility that goes with it and the fact that he is not just living for himself but living for those he is king over, I also thought of our Ephesians study and the unity as the Body of Christ that it taught. Just like Lemuel had to live (strong and sober-minded) for his nation he ruled over, we as God's children (His princesses, if you will - and equally in a high position just because we are His) ought to live our lives not for our own sake but for the sake of God's kingdom (God Himself and His church). Again, reiterating to me to give all of my life (the good and the bad) over to Him.
Then, I was directed to the life of Jesus (our greatest example of a King) and particularly when He was hanging and dying on the cross. This was such a neat part for me this morning! When Jesus was offered wine on the cross, He did not take it as He knew He needed all of His senses to complete the work His Father sent Him to do. Our King hanging there on that cross knew He needed to be in complete control of His mind; otherwise, He quite possibly would have missed ministering to the thief dying on the cross right next to Him. Wow! The Lord has placed within me a strong conviction regarding alcohol - to the point that I will not even have it in our home, cook with it, or not eat anything with it in. I guess when I've read Jesus' death on the cross before, I always view it in its entirety and looked at the end result of salvation or the big picture of it all. I love that I was able to zero in on a little portion of Jesus' work on the cross and that it just brought a strengthened conviction to my mind.
Thank You, Lord, for Your Word and for continuing to teach me.
So sorry for my novel...I was struggling with my wording and just couldn't simplify.
Let the Son shine on this rainy day!
Kim
This passage had me thinking about priorities and making sure that my priorities are in order in everyday life. It can be so easy to let school work cut into my time with the Lord or to put too much of my energy being grumpy that I got a point taken off a project. Our strength should be kept for Lord and his will, not ours.
As I looked at these two verses I thought yes, who better to warn and teach their sons about women but their mother. It is a scary world out there and the kids need some guidance and preparation so their lives will not be destroyed.
When I moved on to verse four I thought of the downfall of so many leaders in our country. I have to wonder how many made poor decisions because alcohol clouded their thinking causing them to compromise their principles.
Post a Comment