Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Proverbs 31:5-7

Lest they drink and forget the law, and pervert the justice of all the afflicted.  Give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to those who are bitter of heart.  Let him drink and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

*Please note: I moved verse 7 to today instead of studying it tomorrow as it is goes more with today's study than tomorrow's.  Thanks for your understanding.

7 comments:

sunset gang said...

Morning all,
I have enjoyed reading the thoughts God has put on all of your hearts. I have to tell you, this morning's verses were difficult for me. My home is also an alcohol free zone mostly because of seeing the damage it can do and my husband making a resolve when he came to Christ that alcohol would not be part of his life anymore. Therefore, it is difficult to see the Word of God making allowances. But the Lord just brought something to my mind - they lived in a time of NO pain killers, NO medications from the doctor, NO tylenol or asperin. Maybe in extreme cases of medical sickness, wine or beer would take off the edge? What is everyone else's take on this?
Blessed day to you all!
P.S. Laine has nothing to say about alcohol consumption. :)
Sonja

kim said...

Good morning!
Through my study of these verses, I learned that alcohol/strong drink was permitted to be used sort of like a drug to help ease pain and numb the senses in seemingly extreme cases of people in bitter distress (like to sedate criminals) and for those who were painfully dying or in misery.

I thought the same thing as you, Sonja, that this was written at a time when (I believe as I didn't research) there were no medications and no pain killer pills so I believe that is what was used.

Alcohol is such a struggle with so many people and is definitely something that can control a person and essentially destroy them. Nathan has seen it all too well through his work not only with those he assists as a part of his job but also among his fellow co-workers. I have seen it too well in my own family growing up and even to this day. I'm thankful that the Lord has already given my husband and I such a strong conviction in this area that it is not even a question for us. I do must be careful not to push my conviction on to others or judge them unrighteously.

The main point I got looking at this passage was the challenge as to what or Who is controlling me. Is God truly Lord over my life or do I allow other things to control me or cloud my judgment? And, also to remember to pray for others who struggle specifically with this issue of alcohol.

Lord, I pray for all of those who struggle with alcohol. Lord, I pray that they would see the need for You to control their lives and quench their thirst not a substance/liquid like alcohol. Lord, help me when I am with people who have this struggle. Help me not to be judgmental of them but also help me not to show acceptance of it either. Lord, show me those things that I allow to control my life and that get in the way of my walk with You. Help me to give them over to You and allow You full control of me. Amen.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, ladies!
kim

Sarah W. said...

Hi Ladies! Good morning! This passage convicted me as a Christ follower (as we are all leaders in our own respects) leading others to know the Lord. We do not drink at all right now, mostly because we have seen too many people struggle with it, and we have even seen many Christians struggle with getting drunk and we did not want to cause anyone to stumble. (we used to have the occasional glass of wine when it was just the two of us) This was our conviction we came to, but I do think this is not black and white and we have to do what the Lord convicts us of. Although, todays passage gave me even another reason- that we want to be a good leader by always having a clear head. How can we lead others to know Christ with a cloudy head? This passage also gave me compassion for those who are going through a tough time, especially those who dont have the joy of knowing Jesus (which they didnt have the holy sprit convicting them at this time) , why they would get drunk! More often then not for people it is to forget their misery! So it makes me want to go right where they are and show them a way out of their pain.
Kim- question for you- where does Jesus refuse wine? I know that when he is offered the sour wine on a stick on the cross that he does take a drink then. Was this previously that he does not accept?

The Skalbergs said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for inviting me Kim - I had an exciting morning of study already, what a great idea!

From studying the verses this morning and going back to catch up from yesterday I found something to be very interesting. Verse 5 says "lest they drink and forget..." We don't drink in our home either, but I do know several people who are alcoholics and it seems to me this verse captures the heart of the problem. Drinking alters our mind, and we forget. We forget who we are, and what we are. The personality is altered and the drinker does things and makes decisions that they would not if sober. From yesterday, I see the King's mother telling him that he is above that - it's not for him. He has too many responsibilities and needs a clear head. As far as her telling him who it IS for, strong drink for the one dying in pain, and wine for the one who is depressed/troubled. One of my studies gave this as an explanation for the mother's allowance for others, "(alcohol)...was appointed to cheer and revive the spirits, and make glad the heart (as it does where there is need of it), not to burden and oppress the spirits, as it does where there is no need of it." According to this commentary, it would have been an act of mercy to give it to a person in the place of 'need', I am assuming due to Sonja's point of not having any other means of relief.

Blessings,
Holly

Mrs. Gray said...

When I was reading "strong drink" I was thinking of a strong cup of tea...something that is bitter, but helps you to wake up. Kind of like Movie was back in the old days...it is a type of soda if you didn't know. It was believed to have medical purposes...I think it was probably the caffeine. But back to the verse, this verse reminded me to give direct or almost stern support... Or stone drink to those that need it and gentleness or wine ( I am assuming sweet) to those that need it. We aren't to be everything to everyone, but with God's support, we can build relationships with others so that we can give them a metaphorical strong drink or wine when they need it.

Jill said...

I found your comments to be quite interesting. Now for my thoughts. These verses were rather personal. My family consisted of some alcoholics. I am just thankful I did not grow up in a house with drink. I do get very nervous and uncomfortable around it.

Alcohol has never been in our home. I have seen first hand what alcohol can do. I have heard the vulgarity, I have seen the hurt it has caused loved ones. The tears that were shed, alcohol played a big part in breaking up a marriage.
So I really do have a strong conviction on alcohol use.

I do agree with the fact that some use alcohol to deal with misery in their life. My nephew after going out and getting drunk I asked him the next morning if it made things better and he said no!

All the car accidents that were caused by the use of alcohol and taking so many innocent lives. It destroys.

I do believe however, there are medical reasons for its use but much care should be taken in its use.

As Kim said we need to be careful not to push our convictions on others and yet not give approval.

One thing we can all agree with, it impairs judgment!

kim said...

Sarah W.-great question for me. It made me dig in a little deeper to some of Jesus' actions during His torturous and painful execution and in light of this particular portion of our Proverbs study where we are exploring the uses of strong drink made me even the more in awe of Jesus' "work" on the cross.

I was referring to the drink Jesus was offered at Mark 15:23 (also at Matthew 27:34 and Luke 23:36). I misspoke of Him being on the cross as technically He was not hanging on the cross yet, but He was amidst all of the pain and torture that He had already been through and was about to be nailed on the cross. I was not trying to misrepresent God's Word at all, and I am sorry if I misled anyone here.

I also realize in Matthew that the Bible says that He tasted the wine offered to Him but then it further states that He did not take it.
My whole point was that Jesus did not take of the strong drink amidst all of the pain He was in because He knew He had a lot more work to do before His death even on the cross. How easy it would have been for Jesus to take the drink to lessen and numb the pain that He was in and about to face even more. I sort of picture Satan trying to give Him the drink and yet Jesus having the power over this temptation.

Then, I read Matthew 27:48, Mark 15:36-37, and John 19:28-30. I found it interesting that Jesus took the drink on the cross (according to the John passage) after He knew that all things were now accomplished and then died shortly thereafter. This point actually goes with one of the uses for the strong drink that we learned in our Proverbs verses. So interesting!

Again, I did not want to mislead anyone and misrepresent God's Word. I'm so sorry to all who were. The passages where I had zeroed in on were right before Jesus was crucified. He still was amidst all that He had to go through for His death and I feel doesn't downplay the fact that Jesus knew that He still had a lot of work ahead of Him and knew that He needed to have complete control of His mind and senses to finish that work.

I know how wording is so important when typing out comments. So sorry!

Thanks, Sarah, for making me dig in a little deeper!

Kim