skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Ephesians 3:10-11
...to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,...
5 comments:
This was a tough one for me today. First, I had to look up the word "manifold," which means many faceted. (Like a diamond with many angles all reflecting the beauty of the diamond.) Well, I was fine with that until I got to verse 10. It really tripped me up to think about the heavenly realms. Why? Earlier when referring to the heavenly realms, it is always as we picture it in our minds--where God lives; where Jesus came from and returned. But this verse sounded like the heavenly realms didn't know anything about God's wisdom? Huh. Then I found chapter 6:12 actually talks about the evil in the heavenly realms. This sent my mind whirling. My concept of heavenly realms was always those who were saved in heaven with God, the angels singing praise to God all day, Jesus sitting at the right hand of God. So here is my question: is there a difference between "heaven" and the "heavenly realms?" One commentary even mentioned that in verse ten God was revealing his wisdom to the forces of darkeness God battled with in the heavenly realms. In the end, the best I could come up with is that the heavenly realms merely refers to anything we cannot see. And it is separate from "heaven." Is that acurate? I look forward to hearing what you all think.
Sonja
ok, so I sat down this morning for my quiet time, wrote out the verses, looked up the word manifold, wrote down that God's manifold wisdom is like an intricately cut diamond, and then "WAAAAAAAAAAA!" at a few minutes after 5 and soon after "Kim, I need your help up here." The stomach bug has found its way to our home! Poor little Letty! Ugh!
Would you all be so kind as to pray for my family as we fight this stomach bug and as we seek God's wisdom as far as our travel plans are concerned. (We were to leave today!) (How do you pray? ask that we all get it NOW? or we get it once we get to our final destination (and get everyone that we're visiting sick too)? or no one else gets it at all? or we (and our family) have peace with staying at home?) Lord, help Letty to get better and show us what to do.
I look forward to getting back to the study after a day of snuggling a sick babe.
Have a great day, ladies!
Kim
It's funny how I was just talking with Eden last night about angles. I've never really thought about them much until last night when I was reading to Eden in her picture Bible. The story of Gideon and how an angel of the Lord came down and told him that he was chosen by God to save his people. She was asking me all sorts of questions about angels.
And Sonja I had the same mindset as you did. That the heavenly realms included people who were saved, the angels singing praises and Jesus sitting on the right hand of God. Maybe they are two different things. But I like your conclusion, it makes sense.
This was a thought provoking scripture. I wrote out the verses at 1:00 A. M. and then went to bed with a lot of questions. Come morning I had to do some searching.
I too, had to check out the word "manifold". I checked in my Greek book and it defined manifold as "multifarious" that was no help for sure. I kept checking and found a meaning: of many kinds,varied, many colored. Okay, this suggest the beauty and variety of God's wisdom in His great plan of salvation. When it talked of the beauty and many colored I can see the diamond you girls mentioned.
I was glad to read Sonja's and Errin's comment about angels. I pretty much had the same thought about the duties of angels. I thought they were standing around the throne of God praising Him and waiting to find out what to do. I knew there had to be more to it so I went searching.
What I found out was that the angels knew about God's power as they saw His creation BUT the wisdom of God as seen in His NEW CREATION "the church" was something new to the angels.
There are GOOD ANGELS and EVIL ANGELS. This is interesting: While the GOOD ANGELS are praising God for His wisdom the EVIL ANGELS are
learning that their leader Satan does not have wisdom.
However Satan does know the BIBLE.
What Satan knew from the old testament was the following:
1. The Savior would come
2. When He would come
3. How He would come
4. Where He would come
Did Satan know why Jesus would come?
The one thing Satan did not know as well as the other angels was "the mystery", that the Jews and Gentiles would unite as one body.
I checked out the word heavenlies that is the word the Greek used. It meant simply "above the sky". Makes me wonder how far up is Heaven.
Principalities and powers above the sky. I picture angels on guard in heavenly places (above the sky).
I think angels have rank and positions. I know there were angels who were messengers for God and warriors. I truly believe they are in battle with evil forces today. I believe these angels are outside of Heaven's Gates. Other angels I believe on in position around the throne constantly praising God. I have so much to learn but these are my thoughts.
The last thing I will mention is that the angels are created beings and I believe we have been given gifts they will never know...MERCY,GRACE,in other words REDEMPTION and a POSITION IN CHRIST.
Sorry this was so long.
Kim, I have been praying for you and the family all day. I miss you all so much and was looking forward to your visit. I hope Letty is getting better and everyone else stay well!
I think that after reading this passage and your comments it had really made me notice God's love for all and for His purpose and intent to be known .. on earth and the heavenly places.
It also made me think are we accurately portraying "the manifold wisdom of God's might" as the church so that the "principalities and powers in heavenly places" can see God's "eternal purpose" through us?
Kim, I have been praying for you guys and hope you guys are feeling better! If you stay and all get sit, let me know if you need me to get anything at the store or bring over soup.
Post a Comment