Friday, March 2, 2012
Ephesians 4:14-16
...that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ - from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This passage just reminds me to focus on scripture and not what men say. That we should always test everything against the word of God. And when speaking into others lives, that we must always speak in Love, with a humble attitude. I think it is so easy to forget that we are all on our own journey of the sanctification process. If we seek Him we are continually molded into his image. Just not at the same speeds :) Have a great weekend everyone!!!!
I really enjoyed the word pictures that verse 16 painted in my mind today. Often when scripture talks of the body of Christ I think of the various parts of the body - arm, leg, hand, finger, little toe. :) Often I've heard Christians joke about insignificant body parts that they might be in comparison to the whole body of Christ. Today, I realized there is so much more to a body than its parts. Verse 16 talked about the supporting ligaments that join and hold the body together. Wow! Muscles have to be stretched and broken to be built. Ligaments are pulled tight and depended upon to hold the body together. Blood is constantly coursing through the body. The heart never stops beating. The lungs expand and contract. So many possible analogies. I loved thinking upon this today. Each one of these is ESSENTIAL to the life of the body. It convicted me when, at times, I feel tired or overworked whether at church or at home thank goodness my blood never takes a day off from its job!!
Thank you Lord for a chance to think upon these things. Your creation is amazing and awe inspiring.
Sonja
I love Kim's challenging Sunday questions. The last ones made me think all week. I still haven't had a chance to ask Marc what his answers would be. I thought I would post my answers here since most of us probably don't ever go back to old days. I'd still be interested to hear from other ladies. These questions seem to help us learn a lot about each other.
1) $10,000: I had the blessing of knowing a family whose son was dying of cancer. I didn't get to know them until the last 6 months of his life. I was very involved in trying to raise support for the many daily expenses not covered by insurance. In the end, God provided through other avenues (mostly the body of Christ) but what made me sad was that every "nonprofit" fell short of providing any support for this family. Usually due to laws, loop holes and board of directors. So, I would take the $10,000 and find a family or families in desparate situations who need assistance and bless them!
2) Day to relive: This was sooooo hard. Sometimes I have a great day at home with the kids but it wasn't an "exciting" day. I guess I would have to say my wedding day. I know it sounds cheesy. But it was perfect in so many ways. Friends and family all gathered for a happy event. Standing side by side with your best friend making a vow to love each other forever. No bills to pay, no plans to make, no work to do. Only happiness and joy (and anticipation!) Then when the first part of the day was over completing the vows alone with the man you love and waited for. Yup, that's the day!
3)FOOD: Breakfast, I absolutely love my big bowl of granola, banana and milk each morning. There's lots of other food that I like (eggs benedict), but this is so satisfying. Lunch and dinner are kinda the same to me. My favs would be bowl of rice with teryaki meat and veggies, big beautiful salad with ALL the trimmings, MEXICAN FOOD-any and all. Dessert, I'm with Kim - chocolate brownies and chocolate or mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Sonja
Lord I know I am still growing and there is still so much learn. I need to be grounded in your word and not swayed by false doctrines. Looking back at my college years at a christian school I think I did have some professors who strayed from the truth a little.
So the answers to the questions.
1. I would probably give it to some families who couldn't pay for oil in the winter. Oil prices are just so high and people can't afford it. I am very thankful to have a wood stove and wood to stay warm in the winter but a lot of people don't have that option. So filling up oil tanks for needy families to keep them warm is what I would do with that money.
2. I would agree with Sonja. My wedding day. It was such a perfect day.
3. I would love to have my sister's stuffed french toast, made with her homemade bread, stuffed with a berry cream cheese filling topped with their homemade maple syrup. And a tall glass of OJ. Perfection. For lunch a taco salad. Dinner would be a nice huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs. My favorite!
Have a great weekend ladies.
I haven't posted for a while but I am enjoying your comments and have been keeping up. Thought I would post today.
In verses 14 and 15 it shows us that various doctrines is nothing new but we know there is only one true doctrine and it is given by the one TRUE GOD. Man can make other doctrines sound good and will have many followers ( I have witnessed this first hand) and because of that I was reminded of how important it is to study and know God's Word so we will be equipped with the true doctrine.
Sometimes it is hard to express the truth with an attitude of love especially when we feel desperate to share truth to those we know are following a false doctrine. I find this is hard to do.
We need the Holy Spirit to do His work. To open and prepare those hearts (be patient) and we need to pray for wisdom, kindness, understanding and a GODLY TONE!
We may know the answers but in need of wisdom in timing and sharing God's doctrine (humbily).
In teaching Sunday School we had a unit where we saw how Jesus taught His disciples in a loving manner even when they were failing or wrong. We can grow by following the example of Christ.
In verse 16 the body grows. Jesus is the Head of the body and we each are members of the body. Are you a leg, an arm, eye or ear? Whatever part you are you have a responsibility of using your gift in a right manner. That is through the power of God. The body will not grow if you are not using your gift or if you are trying to take another's gift. Jesus and the Spirit gave us our gift or gifts and we do not want to bury them we need to use them.
We need to be sure man is not just putting us in a position when God did not intend to use us there. We need to do our part that the body will grow.
Sorry this was so long. It was 3 verses after all!
Post a Comment