Friday, March 9, 2012

Ephesians 4:30-32

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

5 comments:

sunset gang said...

Happy Friday!!!
Marc suddenly started feeling better yesterday morning. I knew he was fine when I went in to check on him and he was hanging the massive pile of clean laundry which I had created. :)
About Saturday, I need to talk to grandma, but most likely I will be there. I might need a ride afterward.

Today, I also read vs 29 from yesterday. Somehow I missed it. :) But I think it was God's plan for me because verses 29-32 were a doozy for me. All I can say is WOW! I don't think there's enough room here to share everything God impressed upon me this morning. The short version is I had to get the dictionary out and look up anger, rage, malice and slander. Apparently I have been reacting in anger a lot lately. God had much to say to me. I am truly broken this morning. Lord, help me be a better mother. Forgive me for my outbursts with the kids. I love them so much and only want to smother them with love. It breaks my heart to see my ugly sin. I don't know if y'all have read the definition of rage- uncontrolled anger & strong emotion were the ones that stood out to me. By this definition, it breaks my heart to confess that I was enraged towards my daughter just a day ago. I want to cry. I was sooooo angry at her, and yet when I look back, it wasn't her only. It was 5 things all colliding at once and she was the final straw that broke my anger. I can't wait until she awakes this morning to take her in my arms and read these verses to her, explain how I was wrong and ask her forgiveness. Pray for me, ladies.
Sonja

Sarah W. said...

What a rich passage. To think that it grieves the Holy Spirit when we act these ways...When I think of grieving I think of intense sadness...This really makes me want to think more before I react in bitterness or anger..and makes me want to be more kind and have that forgiveness in my heart that we can only get through Christ.

Brienne said...

I'll be there tomorrow morning!

Anonymous said...

Oiy! It is a late one for me finishing up a group project.

After reading this verse, I think this is why God wants me to have a long drive home, so I can pray about it and decompress of the way home from work so I don't bring the stresses from work home with me. I have a bad habit of keeping frustrations inside and letting them boil... which never ends well.

Lord, let me come to you to put my stresses and frustrations away instead of keeping them inside.

See you way too soon!

Jill said...

The Holy Spirit...WOW! I love the chorus 'Come Holy Spirit I Need Thee". I can sing that chorus over and over on those hard stress filled days and as I sing I can sense a drawing closer to God. The thing is the Holy Spirit is already with me, I just need to be alert and recognize Him. He is here. Jesus told His disciples He would not leave them comfortless, He would ask the Father to give them another Comforter, that He may abide with them forever. The Holy Spirit was and is the comforter. I am like Sonja songs just come to me with thoughts. I love the hymn "The Comforter Has Come"! That song puts me way up there and I want ALL the verses!

Not only is He our Comforter but...
He teaches me,
He convicts me
He speaks to me
He guides me
He prays for me when I can't
find the words
He brings to rememberance

The Holy Spirit is sooooooooo REAL!
When One is so great, how can I possibly grieve Him and yet I do!

Forgive me Father for those times I grieve or disobey Your Spirit. What shame and remorse. Help me Holy Spirit to grow in obedience. he has sealed me for the DAY OF REDEMPTION! How precious He is!

If I am obedient to the voice of the Holy Spirit I won't have to deal with my weaknesses....Paul warns us of sins that should not be in a believer's life such as:

BITTERNESS (smoldering resentment)
ANGER (deep internal hostility)
CLAMOR (cry of strife; out of control (struggle, conflict, disorder)
EVIL SPEAKING (false report about another)

But...
So....imitate God!
Can't....without the Holy Spirit's help!