Sunday, March 11, 2012

questions-think of it as a variety!

1.  What are some Easter traditions that your family had growing up or that your family does today?

2.  Because I have hockey on my mind right now and in celebration of the Kennett Eagles and their state championship WIN today, what are 3 of your most memorable moments in high school?  (either in school itself, being with friends, in sports, in other extracurricular activites, or whatever)
3.  What are 3 of your favorite board games to play?

4.  What do you have planned for supper this week?  (Can you tell I'm looking for some ideas???)  :)

Have a super Sunday!

3 comments:

kim said...

1. Easter traditions: growing up my family would always go to my Grandpa's house to have an Easter meal with all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins and then we would have an egg hunt after outside in the yard. So fun! At home, my sisters, brother, and I would always take turns all morning long hiding and finding the colored eggs we made. Nowadays, for the past couple of years, our family has done an advent of sorts reflecting and studying and reenacting some of the events leading up to Jesus' death. The first year, we were able to spread it out over the 5 Sundays before Easter and then ending on Easter but last year we did it during "Holy Week" (the 5 days before Easter and then ending on Easter). As our kids get a little older, our goal is to have a 40-day Easter advent. Easter afternoon we usually have an easter egg hunt for the kids out in our yard (weather permitting, of course)!

2. memorable moments in school: 1-years playing for the soccer team and running for the track team but especially running at districts for relays and then my last year running hurdles in an individual event; 2-homecoming my senior year-I dressed up and "performed" as a clown in the homecoming parade (meanwhile, Nathan was on the homecoming court so he was dressed up in a nice suit) :o); 3-9th grade trip to Washington D.C. - that's when Nathan and I really got to talk with each other and our friendship began! :)

3. games: Scrabble, Risk (although it's been a LOOOOOOONG time since I've played it!), and Imaginiff

4. Chicken Chow Mein, Goulash, Hamburgers & Hot Dogs, Italian Chicken, and Chicken & Rice Casserole.

Looking forward to reading others' answers too!
Kim

sunset gang said...

Thanks for your post, Kim. It is so much fun to get to know everyone! Sorry I missed the breakfast Saturday. I could taste the yummy eggs. :)

1. childhood Easter- We weren't saved as a child so Easter was just a time to buy a new super fancy dress, hat, and shiny shoes. We went to church, had an egg hunt in the backyard and a big dinner with grandparents. Easter now: Marc grew up with a mom who was saved. She observed the practice of "Lent" or giving up something meaningful for the 40 days leading up to Easter as a way of saying thank you to the Lord for sacrificing His Son on the cross. Since I have known Marc, he has given up sweets at Lent-which any of you who know him, it is an EXTREME sacrifice. :) I look forward to it each year, as this is an area of weakness for me too. It feels amazing to give something over to the Lord and ask Him to be your strength. I always desire to make it a year round sacrifice to Him, but it is a lot harder to be strong when my husband is back on the sweets again. :) For the kids, they are excited to give up sweets. This is the first year that they have all actually understood why. We also have a set of 12 plastic eggs called Resurrection Eggs filled with 12 reminders of the Easter story and an accompanying book called Benjamin's Box. Of course, we get together with Marc's whole family for an Easter supper.
Kim, I love the idea of an Easter advent.
2. High school-besides the typical driver's license and car, I would say my most memorable times revolved around dance, dance, dance. I was on the Drill Team for 3 years (had to quit Sr year to get a job to pay for college.) We don't have drill teams out here on the East Coast. It was like a dance team that danced on the field with the band at halftime as part of their field show. It was soooooo much fun. The fabulous music, the bright lights of the football stadium, the cool California fall nights, the costumes, and the performing in front of HUGE crowds. What's not to love? :) I still get goose bumps when I hear field show music or see other bands perform a halftime show. The bonuses were all the places we got to travel for competitions:Hawaii, Las Vegas, Arizona, Disneyland, Northern California.
3. Favorite board games: actually our favorites are card and dice games: Farkle, Racko, and Dutch Blitz
4. Supper this week: chicken barley veggies soup; mexican rice, veggies and black bean salsa; quinoa and baked beans; fried rice; homemade pizza and salad
Can't wait to read from other ladies, too.
Have a blessed week
Sonja

Anonymous said...

1. Growing up my mom would sew each of my sisters and I an Easter dress. We would then attend sunrise service and do an Easter egg hunt. We would then go to my grandparents for dinner. Nowadays after church we take turns going to my parents or the in laws for Easter dinner.
2. Playing field hockey, and softball. Trip to Europe with the French club. Working on the school yearbook, had to be the easiest class ever.
3. My favorite board game would have to be Monopoly. For card games my family is into playing May I and Phase 10.
4. This is one thing I need to work on. I am really bad at scheduling dinners throughout the week. I got out some hamburg this morning and I guess I am just going to make meatloaf with it. As for the rest of the week I really have no clue. I would love to get advice from any of you ladies as to how you prepare for your weeks menu. From past experience when I try to plan it out my grocery bill seems to double because I have to get all the ingredients for the 5 different meals I am going to do.