Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ephesians 5:5-7

For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.  Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.  Therefore do not be partakers with them.

4 comments:

kim said...

This passage was a little tough to grasp for me this morning after feeling like I did battle with the evils of a certain little girl who wanted nothing to do with sleep between the hours of 1 and 4! (OK, she's not evil, but it sure feels that Satan is present during those dreadful times.) Translation: I'm one tired and weary mama today!

I found it interesting that just a couple verses before this passage Paul told us to be imitators of God and walk in love and then now he is encouraging us to let no one deceive us with empty, vain words and to not be partakers with these people. Could this passage be encouraging us to the "tough love" part of walking in love?

I was compelled to pray for all unbelievers that God would soften their hearts and that they could just see who God is and for all believers that we would have discernment and would be strengthened and protected when ministering and reaching out to unbelievers.

Enjoy the day, ladies! Another beautiful day should be in store for us! I'm so thankful for the time outside with NO BUGS! :)

Kim

Anonymous said...

After reading these verses I couldn't help but think about my sister in law and her lifestyle. She lives with another girl and they are fostering two small boys now. It was very hard for her to come out not knowing how the family would react. She was raised in a christian household. Lately it just seems like everyone is tolerant to how they are living. It is still weird for me at family gatherings everyone acting like what they are doing is normal. They are having a baby shower coming up because they are adopting a baby girl from another homosexual couple. A baby shower thrown by their lesbian friends. I got an invite but don't know whether I should go or not. I am just weirded out over the whole thing. I know I am supposed to love my sister in law which I do just hate the sin she is living in. I feel like if I went it would mean that I support what they are doing. I just don't know. What would any of you do in this situation? I definitely need to pray about it.

kim said...

Hi, Errin!
You have been on my mind for a couple days now. I find it so interesting the timing of your invite to this shower and the decision you are contemplating and praying about right now in light of this study through Ephesians and more specifically in light of the verses we have been studying this week, and I have read your specific prayers of boldness to share the Gospel with your family members. I'm always amazed at how God works! And, He is definitely working in you!

Well, I must say that I do not envy your situation at all, but I am praying for you through this decision. I also must say that what you shared with all of us has brought up some interesting discussions between me and my mother-in-law. These are a few of the things we have been talking about...

We've talked about this situation in 2 ways trying to approach it with the thought as to what we would do ourselves.

1. Going to the shower with the intention and the heart and the prayer of shedding light into the way you live your life as a Christian and for God to use you to plant little seeds of faith and do a work through you at this shower. What a platform to be able to witness to so many who are living so immorally! BUT, a few things we thought of was...what kind of games would you have to play and be party to, what kind of speech and talk would you place your ears and mind under, would you be able to laugh at some jokes or would you laugh unintentionally at something you wouldn't normally laugh at, and if given the opportunity to speak out or take a stand in some way (by walking away or what not) against the talk, behavior, or lewdness, how would that be perceived...how would your actions there be taken - as snobbish/prudish/the feeling of being better than them or be taken in love???? OR, go to the shower and do and say nothing and show a tolerance for what is going on...would that show approval for all that is occurring...would going show that you approve of this adoption????

2. NOT going to the shower. Could you use the fact that you are not going as an opportunity to minister to your sister-in-law (or perhaps other in-laws) in love by simply writing a letter to explain the reasons you didn't go and perhaps sharing what the Lord has been teaching you lately (without sounding too preachy). AND, express to her that you love her and love these children that she is parenting BUT cannot show approval of her actions by attending a "party"/shower to celebrate/honor this adoption. Even sending a monetary gift for diapers I think would be ok as you can explain that you will LOVE your new little niece??? Could that be received and respected by your sister-in-law as though you are doing this in love? I'm quite sure she knows your heart on these issues, but who knows? the timing of a letter done prayerfully and in love may minister volumes to her (and perhaps your other sisters-in-law or other in-laws in general). AND, if you don't go, you may be able to use this as a teaching opportunity to your kids as they get older and are perhaps faced with taking a stance on homosexuality (since they may have cousins that are being taught under this lifestyle and who may perhaps adopt the lifestyle themselves).

Just some thoughts we were tossing around here as you know your sister-in-law and family WAY better than our theoreticals. (I tried to make this as objectively as possible, but I think it's clear what way we were leaning toward.)

Also, consider what Ryan thinks too (which I know you will)! Husbands are so wise and objective and unemotional (well, at least some of them) when it comes to decision making!

In the end, with whatever decision you make, I know that God will give you a real peace with the answer and the action He wants you to take.

Praying for you, Errin!
Kim

kim said...

Lord, I pray for Errin. Lord, give her wisdom and guidance and lead her as to what she is to do in regards to this baby shower for her sister-in-law. Lord, help her and strengthen her and give her boldness in whatever way she goes in regards to this shower. Lord, grant Errin peace with the decision. Lord, I pray also for her sister-in-law that You soften her heart and that she sees Your light in this dark time in her life. Lord, I pray for these kids that are being raised under this sin. Lord, guard their hearts and place others in their lives to show them Your Truth. Lord, use Errin and other members of her family as You see fit to expose this darkness in love to this sister-in-law. Amen.