Monday, February 6, 2012

Ephesians 2:11-12

Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh - who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands - that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

5 comments:

kim said...

Good morning, girls! Good morning, Monday!

Why have our Mondays started out sort of dismal and gloomy in terms of reminding us where we were spiritually speaking before Christ came into our lives! Being separated from Christ, aliens from Israel and strangers to the promises that the nation had, having no hope, and being without God. Yikes! (I had to read ahead to remind me that this is no longer our hope and our future!) Since this is Paul's second reminder to us, I guess it is important to remember where we came from so that we are that much more thankful of how far and what Christ has brought us through.

It was also interesting to take a look at a few of the differences historically speaking Gentiles and Jews had with one another and even perhaps still possess today...all based on history. I felt the Lord was reminding me that I need to be careful to not base my care and concern for someone based on their past/history. I need to love them like Jesus.

By the way, I was glancing over at the goodmorninggirls.org website (where this study plan was found) and the challenge question for the week was "How can we get better at being "one in Christ" with our fellow Christian brothers & sisters?" Thought-provoking!

Have a great Monday, ladies!
Kim

Sarah W. said...

This passage was exactly what I have been thinking about lately!!! So interesting how God does that sometimes! I so desperately desire to not have spiritual pride (as the Jews in Paul's day saw themselves as more spiritual and "clean"- and as the Gentiles saw themselves relying on their power, possessions & achievements!). I do not want to be blind to my own faults and see others so clearly. I pray that the plank would be removed from my eye whenever this is happening. Also, because of Christ we (believers) are all one body!! Kim mentioned not to base her care & concern for someone based on their past/history which is a great comment, but I want to take it even one step further and not base it on their present situation/circumstance! We must get rid of any prejudice we have to any other group of people because we all need Jesus! Equally!!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine a life without hope, a life without Christ. But this is how some of my family and friends are living. I pray for the boldness to share of the hope that is found in Jesus. That one day they wont be separated but begin to walk with Christ.

Mrs. Gray said...

After reading this passage and seeing your comments, it reminded me to put myself in other's shoes and humble myself so that I can be a better witness to them. I need to look past a person's past and current situations so that I can develop a relationship with them and share Christ with them.

I love how Paul says the same thing, different ways to make sure that we get what he is trying to convey.. just in case we missed it the first time.

kim said...

Hi, Ladies! The following comment is from my hubby's mom...ever since I told her about our little accountability group, she has played catch-up for the past week or two and has sort of been joining the group on the outside only emailing me her comments. She is a teacher through and through, and I have been so encouraged and have learned a lot from her ever since I have known her. When I see her in a couple of weeks, I will teach her to comment so that you all can be blessed and encouraged more regularly. I hope you don't mind a new-comer! Here are her comments:

Well, these are verses that I know what it is saying but difficult because there is so much meaning. Until Jesus circumcised our hearts through spiritual circumcision we had:

no Christ (savior)
no heavenly citizenship
no covenant
no hope
no relationship with the true God
We truly were Gentiles.

The Jews were full of pride looking down on those of uncircumcision. God never intended His chosen to have that attitude.

Just because a Jew was circumcised was NO PROOF he was a man of faith.

I don't think God intended for there to be denominations. One God, One Faith, One Spirit, One Body. As for me I want to be
known as a Christian, a child of God not a Baptist or any other denomination. Also I want to grow in compassion for those who do not know Christ. Lord help me to watch my attitudes toward others.

Because I have been called and chosen I do have: a savior, heavenly citizenship, included in the covenant, I do have hope, and I have been adopted by the true God. I have been spiritually circumcised and w/out hands.

I hope this made sense.