Friday, February 10, 2012

Ephesians 2:21-22

...in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed reading everyone's posts from yesterday. I love when God uses imagery in His Word. I can just picture the building of the temple with Christ as the cornerstone. And yet that building is actually me being built for the glory and purpose of God. WOW! I really connected with one of the definitions Sarah listed:
Cornerstone - a stone representing the nominal starting place in the construction of a monumental building, usually carved with the date and laid with appropriate ceremonies.
Can't you picture this as an explanation of our lives? Christ was that stone that started my "real" life when I accepted Him into my heart. And he has great plans for my life-even possibly described as a monumental building. Often we don't give God enough credit for His capabilities. Yes we are sinners, but Yes we are saved by grace and if we will let him, he will turn us into a monumental building for his purposes. WOW!
The last part of the definition-"carved with a date." I know with what date my building has been carved. None of us can forget the date our eyes were opened to our sin and we fell at the feet of the cross asking for forgiveness.
Lord, thank you that you are building me into your holy temple. It is nothing I have done; it is all through your Son's work on the cross. Thank you, that when you see me, you are seeing the cornerstone of my building and because of that, you desire to dwell in my temple! I am blown away, Lord. Thank you, thank you!
Sonja

Kim said...

All of you ladies seem to word things so beautifully and understandably. I will do my best in trying to explain what I was challenged with this morning, but I can't seem to come up with the "right" words. Forgive me and give me grace if this doesn't make sense or is taken the wrong way.

We are building blocks fitted together by Christ our Cornerstone. We are a part of and in the building of God's temple. We each have our own part/place and yet if we don't work together and do our part, we will make the temple's wall weak. Yes to salvation by grace alone and not because of our works but as we studied last week, we are being molded and shaped and formed into God's masterpiece therefore our block is still being worked and won't be complete until everyone who will believe in God has done so and Jesus returns.

A few things challenged me today... Is my block growing closer (sticking to) the Cornerstone more and more each day where I am becoming stronger and helping with the unity and completeness of the building?

Is there a block around me that needs encouragement and help to become stronger in God's temple?

Is there someone around me that isn't a block yet, but God wants that person to be a block? Am I listening and being obedient to what the Holy Spirit is desiring me to do by reaching out to that person?

Lord, thank You for continuing to work in my life and thank You for Your Spirit dwelling in me guiding and shaping and molding me into the block You want me to be. Lord, thank You for the challenge to look beyond my own block and show me those blocks around me that need encouraged, strengthened, or even brought into Your temple and help me to be obedient in what You would have me to do.

Have a great weekend, ladies!

(P.S. I think the kids and I must play with some blocks today!)

kim :)

Sarah W. said...

Kim I really enjoyed your imagery...another image I have heard recently is of a circle, where Christ is in the center and we are on the outside either moving closer to the center (the more stable blocks) staying in the same place, or even moving away! the cool thing though, is we cannot see where others are on that spectrum, we just need to trust the holy spirit and continue to the center of the circle while helping others along in their journey as well! enjoy your days ladies...I have had a bad cold since Sunday so prayers are appreciated!

Mrs. Gray said...

I like how this passage depicts an active living God by saying the building "grows" into the holy temple. We are constantly growing as individual blocks and the temple as a whole is also growing as more people come to know Christ.

Lord, please help us to become stronger "blocks" and help us to support, encourage other "blocks" in your temple. It is such a blessing to be a "block" in your temple. Please help Sarah W. begin to feel better. Help to give her strength and energy to get through her day and help her recover quickly from this cold.

Jill said...

Okay, ladies, I am sorry but this could possibly be another novel. Now you can see why I am still in the same lesson book from two years ago in Sunday School!

This scripture today brought the chorus HE IS STILL WORKING ON ME to my mind. Construction by the Master Builder: As I read the scripture I pictured a carpenter at work, framing the PERFECT dwelling place.

Daily, God through His Spirit is PERFECTING His dwelling place.

Looking at history: In Genesis God walked with His people BUT in Exodus God dwelt in the Tabernacle UNTIL Israel's sins caused "THE GLORY TO DEPART". Then God dwelt in the Temple...but...once again Israel sinned and once again "THE GLORY DEPARTED". Where was God going to find the PERFECT dwelling place? Of course, where else...but...the PERFECT BODY OF CHRIST...but...man rejected Jesus and nailed God's dwelling place to the cross.

So, where does God dwell today?
Through His Spirit He dwells in the church. NOT THE BUILDING..but...in the hearts of believers. God, through His Spirit is fitting us together (we are being joined together). We are all a part of the DWELLING PLACE OF GOD. He knows exactly where you will fit. You will not be the cornerstone that spot is already filled by Christ. We are all a part of the body of Christ. Every block accomplishes the purpose GOD has in mind.

Thank you Hod for allowing me (fitting me)into YOUR ETERNAL PROGRAM. Father, I pray I am doing my part in helping my Junior Highers see YOU building their lives. You are dwelling in my heart Father. This is a privilege and daily I need to focus on this privilege.

"THE GLORY DEPARTED', what sad words! I want YOUR GLORY, Father, to shine through my life. AMEN

Jill said...

P.S.
Sorry I called God "HOD". I was being so careful too!

Have a great week-end....